Mainsail Hoist stop

Lets Go Fast

Mainsail Hoist stop

Postby Mark Bryant on Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi Sailors,

Five plus years ago when I started competing in 2.4's a very simple solution was offer regarding "THE BLACK BAND". Mainsail hoist measurement, max hoist. The suggestion was to put a screw through the mast groove ( tunnel ).. I must have used the wrong, during practice my main halyard chaffed and broke..

The solution to a sharp screw thread is an aluminum rivet. See a attached photo. When a rivet is "popped" the backside mushrooms with the result being a semi round round smooth surface. That insures no chaffing on main halyard.. whether cordage or wire is used..

Speaking of wire, I've been experimenting with two different halyard lock systems, one 2' from mast crane and one with block purchase below deck... Jury's still out on both..

Solution results,

1. Sailing legal, which we all want to do.
2. Never questioning where the "BLACK BAND IS"

Tools needed,

1. Drill Motor
2. 3/16" drill ( drill shallow or replace main halyard )
3. 3/16" by 3/4" grip aluminum pop rivet
4. Pop rivet gun..

Send your suggestions to info@markbryantsailing.com and ideas to this site or my forum http://www.markbryantsailing.com/forums

hoist stop 001.jpg
Mark Bryant

Re: Mainsail Hoist stop

Postby DaveT on Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Here are a few other options that are available at your local marine store or online.

hoist stop 002.jpg
hoist stop 002.jpg (4.53 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

hoist stop 003.jpg
hoist stop 003.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 2851 times

These items are small and should not effect the bend characteristics of any mast. They also require no drilling and are removable.
Thanks,
Dave Trude
US Southwest contact for MB Sailing.
DaveT

Return to Speed Tips and tricks